Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Cassandra was never believed either

I call myself "Cassandra"  because I feel like people don't really listen or believe what I have to say.  When I am speaking in person to people, they do listen and believe me but when I write the same words on a screen or in a post, I am immediately questioned;  people ask me to cite my sources.  I see other people writing on comments, posts, forums, blogs and such and they are believed when they assert something but I am not.  Part of it is because I haven't the all-important  college degree that seems to magically confer respectability and importance to what I write.  

A huge part of what I write or assert is from things I have read over the years and remembered.  The problem is, I don't keep every source reference in my head or somewhere because I am not teaching a class or trying to be a journalist.  Instead, I impart what I have read or learned or experienced.  I am a knowledge-sharer who likes helping others by sharing what I have learned or picked up along the way.  I even use disclaimers but people still call me on it and demand references.  Hence my moniker:  Cassandra.  

Cassandra of Troy was given the gift of prophecy but also the curse of never having anyone believe her prophetic musings.  Not that I am a prophet;  it is the "not being believed" part that applies to me.  So I am getting my college degree;  I will receive it this December.  I wonder if it will change how people react to what I write? 

My real-life friends and acquaintances tell me all the time that I am a storehouse of knowledge;  they fondly  refer to me as "the one who knows a lot about everything."   They keep encouraging me to write all the stuff I know into a book but I think I will do better by speaking it  in small group settings.  That is a lot scarier to me but it might be the only way to get people to know what I know or to pass on what I know.  Writing it seems to mean I have to back it up but speaking it doesn't.  How odd that is;  there are so many self-help books written by people who don't cite their sources and the millions of people who buy and read them don't seem to question where the sources are.  I don't know why my writing seems to incite questioning of sources;  I cannot understand that and it seems unfair when others assert claims and are not called on them.  

I just want to pass on information that may be helpful to people;  they can choose not to believe it.  If I know something that may be helpful to someone, I want to put it out there so that someone can be helped by it.  Is that  not a good thing?

No comments: